My most popular pattern!
I have been a lifelong admirer of penguins; I even did a school project on penguins in first grade. In the past few years, the general public has grown an obsession with penguins as well (I blame it on Happy Feet and March of the Penguins). Now I hate telling people I am penguin lover because we feel like people think I just jumped on the bandwagon or something. Anyway...
Since everyone loves penguins now, and it's getting to that time of the year where people start decorating with winter-y elements including these cute little guys, I decided to whip up something and share the pattern with you!
Please do not distribute or sell this pattern. Items made from this pattern are for personal use only; do not sell items made from this pattern.
※ Worsted weight yarn in black, white, orange, and blue - you won't need much (I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream, use whatever you like)
※ Size H hook
※ Yarn needle
Abbreviations (all American):
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
tr = triple crochet
st = stitch
sl st = slip stitch
rnd = round
F/O = fasten off
dec = decrease
RS/WS = right side/wrong side
• Rnd 1: with white, ch 4. Join with sl st to form a ring.
Rnd 2: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc). 11 dc in a ring. Join with sl st to top of ch 3. (12 st)
Rnd 3: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) and dc in same st. 2 dc in each st around. Sl st to the top of ch 3, using black to switch colors. (24 st)
Rnd 4: with black, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) and dc in same st. 2 dc in each st around. Sl st to the top of ch 3. (48 st)
Do not F/O!
• Starting where you left off in rnd 4 of the body - sc in next 12 st, hdc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 3 tr in next st. F/O. In the st next to the first sc (where you started the 12 sc), reattach yarn with sl st, sc in next 5 st, hdc in next st, 2 dc in next st, 3 tr in next st. F/O.
• Row 1: Reattach yarn with sl st in the same st where you started the 2nd wing. sc in same st, sc in next 8 st, sl st in next st. (10 st) Turn, but DO NOT CH (as you normally would).
• Row 2: sc in next 8 st, sl st with next st after the rows of sc. Ch 1, turn.
• Row 3: sc in next 2 st, hdc in next st, 2 dc in next 2 st, hdc in next st, sc in next 2 st. In the rnd below (the rnd of sc made by making the 1st wing), sl st in next st. F/O.
• ch 5
• Row 1: sc in second ch from hook, sc in next 3 st. Ch 1, turn. (4 st)
• Row 2: 2 dec, ch 1, turn. (2 st)
• Row 3: dec, F/O.
• Row 1: Attach orange yarn to bottom of the body in desired position using 1 sc. sc in next 3 st. Ch 1, turn. (4 st)
• Row 2: dec 2 times. F/O.
Repeat for the second foot.
Sew on beak. Use a French knot or embroider eyes using blue yearn (or whatever color you want the eyes to be).
Done! Make several more and you'll have a super cute coaster set.
All patterns and photos are copyright ©2011-2014 by Sarah A. Cano. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without my express written consent.